Peach cobbler is a delicious and comforting dessert that is loved by many. The combination of sweet and juicy peaches, warm spices, and a buttery crust makes it the perfect treat for any occasion. However, fresh peaches are only available during certain seasons, and it can be disappointing to crave peach cobbler when they are not in season. But fear not, because with this make-ahead peach cobbler recipe, you can enjoy the taste of sunshine all year long!
Why Make Ahead Peach Cobbler?
By making peach cobbler ahead of time, you can preserve the freshness and flavors of the peaches even when they are not in season. This recipe allows you to freeze the cobbler so that you can enjoy it whenever you want, without compromising on taste. It is a convenient and practical way to satisfy your peach cobbler cravings throughout the year.
- 6 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced peaches, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Mix well until the peaches are coated in the sugar and spices.
- Transfer the peach mixture into a baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to mix the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the boiling water to the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the peaches in the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and bake the peach cobbler for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the peaches are bubbling.
Can I use canned peaches instead of fresh peaches?
Yes, you can use canned peaches if fresh peaches are not available. Make sure to drain the canned peaches before using them in the recipe.
Can I use a different fruit instead of peaches?
Absolutely! This recipe can be adapted to use different fruits such as apples, berries, or cherries. Adjust the sugar and spices according to the fruit you choose.
How long can I freeze the peach cobbler?
The peach cobbler can be frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
Can I make individual servings of the peach cobbler?
Yes, you can divide the peach mixture and dough into individual ramekins before freezing. This way, you can easily thaw and bake individual servings whenever you want.
Can I reheat the peach cobbler?
Absolutely! You can reheat the peach cobbler in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat!